Hits, Misses and Half-Founded Opinions
- Some of my favorite hard analytics have been trying to make something useful from NBA.com's SportVU "Player Tracking Data". I think the useful information that comes from that data is almost accidental as I doubt teams were willing to share the reports they actually run on the data, but I think I have been able to parse some of the data in two interesting ways - Rim Protection, first post here and "True Usage" a measure of offensive involvement combining both shooting and playmaking, first post here.
- I took a look at tanking and the overvaluation of future draft picks here
- Several posts breaking down Portland's efficient yet highly aesthetically pleasing offense starting here
- What I and everyone else missed about the Suns preseason here
- Finally, three of my favorites, a look at how Ricky Rubio's unwillingness to score hurts almost as much as his inability to shoot; losing the match-up war with Chuck Hayes; and Golden State's Draymond Green vs. Harrison Barnes conundrum.
Please take a look around and enjoy, drop a comment or get in touch on twitter @WhrOffnsHppns. If you're into that kind of thing, also check out the podcasts with Rob from PointsPerPossession.